This cake really is is fit for royalty - decorated using Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Icing.
240g dates, stoned
200g unsalted butter cut into pieces
300g light muscovado sugar
2 free range eggs
25g chopped stem ginger
Dr. Oetker Natural Lemon Extract
200g plain flour (500 plain + baking powder 20g)
1.5tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
250g Bramley cooking apple, peeled - grated or chopped
1tsp Dr. Oetker vanilla extract
Icing sugar to dust with to serve
Suggested Decorations (optional)
200g Dr. Oetker Regalice Ready To Roll White Icing
200g Dr. Oetker Ready To Roll Natural Marzipan
150g Dr. Oetker Apricot Glaze
100g Icing Sugar
Dr. Oetker Blue Colouring
Dr. Oetker Natural Red Colouring
Dr. Oetker Designer Icing (various colours including red, white and blue available)
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC fan oven 140ºC. Grease a 6” round cake tin or 2lb loaf tin.
2. Sieve the flour and Dr. Oetker Baking Powder together.
3. Place the dates and sultanas in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
4. Melt the butter and sugar together in a saucepan and allow to cool slightly.
5. Beat the eggs, ginger, Dr. Oetker Lemon Extract and Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract into the butter and sugar. Drain the dates and chop finely. Add to the saucepan and mix well.
6. Stir in the apple and flour, then spoon into the tin and bake in the oven for about 1hr 15 mins until well risen. A skewer inserted should come out clean, with a few crumbs. Leave to cool in the tin.
7. Dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
To decorate your Elizabeth Fruit Cake in a patriotic style brush the cake with Dr. Oetker Apricot Glaze, then cover with a layer of Dr. Oetker Natural Marzipan. Allow to dry and cover with a layer of Dr. Oetker Ready To Roll White Icing.
Use Dr. Oetker Designer Icing in Red and Blue to draw a Union Jack on your cake...or just some regal writing!
Most importantly have fun decorating your Queen Elizabeth Cake!
Cake lasts a week stored in an airtight container (delicious from the fridge) or for one month frozen.