Makes: 16 Cookies
50g (2oz) butter or margarine, softened
75g (3oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg yolk
175g (6oz) plain flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
2-3 tbsp milk
100g (4oz) icing sugar
Dr. Oetker Hundreds & Thousands and Sugar Strands
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF/ Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the butter or margarine in a bowl with the sugar and beat until light and creamy. Mix in the egg yolk.
3. Sieve in the flour, cinnamon and Baking Powder, then bind together with sufficient milk to form a firm dough. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and divide into 16 pieces.
4. Knead and roll each piece into a thin sausage shape and make letters of the alphabet, twisting the dough and trimming it as necessary.
5. Arrange on the baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes until firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually mix in 3-4 tsp water to form a thick drizzling icing. Spread, pipe or drizzle over the cookies and sprinkle with Hundreds and Thousands or Sugar Strands before the icing sets. Allow to set for a few minutes before serving.