The oats in this recipe not only make these slices really tasty but also make them a good source of fibre.
Makes: 12 Bars
200g (7oz) no need to soak dried apricots, chopped
200ml (7fl.oz) unsweetened orange juice
A few drops Dr. Oetker Natural Orange Extract
150g (5oz) wholewheat plain flour
150g (5oz) porridge oats
75g (3oz) light brown sugar
150g (5oz) butter or margarine, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C Fan (190°C, Gas Mark 5). Grease and line a 20cm (8inch) square cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Put the apricots in a saucepan with the orange juice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened. Leave to cool, then blend in a food processor until smooth, and add a few drops orange extract.
3. Mix the flour, oats and sugar in a bowl, and rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture clings together.
4. Put half the mixture in the base of the tin and press down well. Spread over the apricot mixture. Sprinkle over the remaining crumble and bake for about 30 mins until lightly golden.
5. Cool in the tin, then cut into 12 bars to serve.