Makes 16 bars
175g (6oz) butter or margarine, softened
175g (6oz) light brown sugar
3 medium eggs
175g (6oz) self raising flour
175g (6oz) ground walnuts
1-2 tsp Dr. Oetker Coffee Flavouring
For the icing
100g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
175g (6oz) icing sugar
50g (2oz) Dr. Oetker Dark Fine Cooks' Chocolate, melted
16 walnut halves
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 18 x 28cm (7 x 11 inch) rectangular cake tin.
2. Place the butter or margarine in a bowl with the sugar and beat until light and creamy.
3. Whisk in the eggs along with 50g (2oz) flour. Sieve in the remaining flour and add the ground walnuts and Coffee Flavouring to taste; carefully fold into the mixture using a metal spoon.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin and smooth over the top. Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes until risen, firm and golden.
5. Allow to cool in the tin, then cut into 16 pieces. Carefully remove and place on a wire rack.
6. To make the icing place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
7. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and then add enough milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
8. Add the Fine Cooks' Dark Chocolate into the icing and spread each cake thickly.
9 .Decorate each piece of cake with a walnut half.