75g (3oz) dark brown sugar, sieved
3 tbsp golden syrup
1 level tbsp cinnamon or ground mixed spice
1 level tbsp ginger
95g (3½oz) butter or margarine
½ level tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
225g (8oz) plain flour
Dr. Oetker Writing Icing
Dr. Oetker Soft Silver Pearls
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Put sugar, syrup, 1 tbsp water and spices together in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
3. Remove saucepan from the heat and cut butter (or margarine) into pieces. Add butter (or margarine) to the saucepan along with the Bicarbonate of Soda.
4. Gradually mix in the flour until you have a smooth dough. Add a little more flour if needed. Set aside in a cool place and leave for 30 minutes.
5. Roll out the dough to approx. 3mm (1/8 inch) thick on a lightly floured surface and, using a cutter, cut out the Gingerbread People and place on the baking tray.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until biscuits are firm and golden.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack and then decorate using Writing Icing and Soft Silver Pearls for eyes.