125g (4 ½ oz) butter, softened
75g (3oz) caster sugar
175g (6oz) plain flour
Pinch of salt
250g (9oz) butter
250g (9oz) caster sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
397g can sweetened condensed milk
2 x 120g bars Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ Milk Chocolate
4 tbsp Dr. Oetker Chocolate Flavour Strands
1. First make the shortbread base. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy. Add the flour and salt. Carefully mix together and then beat until well combined.
2. Press into an 18 x 28cm (7 x 11 in) oblong cake tin, 4cm (1 ½ inch) deep. Prick all over with a fork and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes until pale golden and firm. Allow to cool in the tin.
3. For the toffee filling, put the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring all the time, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened and is a creamy fudge colour. Pour over the shortbread and allow to cool.
4. Once the toffee layer has cooled, break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Allow to melt then remove from the water.
5. Spoon the melted chocolate on top of the toffee. Tap the tin on the work surface so that the chocolate covers the toffee completely. Sprinkle with the Chocolate Flavour Strands and set aside in a cool place until firm. If the chocolate sets too firm (in the fridge) it will be more difficult to cut.
6. To cut, using a sharp knife, cut into 20 fingers and carefully lift from the tin. Chill until required, but stand at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.