A perfect after-dinner treat that takes inspiration from the traditional banoffee pies we know and love. The sweetened cream cheese is deliciously simple to make. Use shop bought toffee sauce for the finishing touch.
Makes 12 cupcakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
75g (3oz) self-raising flour, sieved
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
Fresh slices of banana
For the sweetened cream cheese
200g (7oz) cream cheese at room temperature
50g (2oz) softened butter
200g (7oz) icing sugar
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a spoon.
3. Place a spoonful of the mixture into each of the baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. To make the sweetened cream cheese, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the Natural Vanilla Extract and then gradually beat in the icing sugar.
6. Using a palette knife or piping bag, cover the top of the cupcakes with a liberal helping of the sweetened cream cheese.
7. To decorate, cut the banana into diagonal slices and place a couple of slices on top of the cream cheese.
8. For the perfect finishing touch, drizzle the toffee sauce over the top of the cupcake.