Makes 16 cakes
Ingredients for the Cakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
110g (4oz) self-raising flour, sieved
2 – 3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
For the Icing
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar
a few drops of Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
milk or warm water
sieved icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract, if the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour.
4. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon.
5. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the Baking Cases and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
6. Take a sharp knife and cut a circle out of the top of each cake at an angle about 1cm (½ inch) from the edge.
7. Cut each circle in half and set aside.
8. To make the butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar.
9. Mix in Natural Vanilla Extract and enough milk/water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable and place onto the cakes.
10. Place the two half circles of cake on top to resemble butterfly wings.
11. Dust the top of each cake lightly with the sieved icing sugar.