This is a chocoholic’s dream come true. For dinner parties, drizzle orange liqueur over the cupcakes before decorating.
Makes 12 cupcakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
60g (3oz) self-raising flour, sieved
15g cocoa powder
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker White Baking Cases
50g Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ Milk Chocolate
For the Chocolate Icing
75g softened butter
175g icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the Baking Cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour and cocoa powder with a spoon.
3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the Baking Cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. To make the chocolate icing, place the softened butter into a bowl. Sieve in the icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
6. Add the cocoa powder to the butter and sugar and stir until smooth. Spread the icing over the cupcakes and leave to set.
7. To decorate, soften the chocolate slightly over hot water, keeping it in one piece. Once slightly soft, use a potato peeler to shave chocolate curls from the chocolate. Stack the curls on the cupcakes.