These cupcakes are delicious, easy to make and the chocolate and ginger flavours blend together perfectly.
Makes 12 cupcakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
75g (3oz) self-raising flour, sieved
2 tsp ground ginger
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
Crystallised Ginger pieces
Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ Milk Chocolate
For the chocolate icing
75g softened butter
175g icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the Baking Cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour and cocoa powder with a spoon.
3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the Baking Cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. To make the chocolate icing, place the softened butter into a bowl. Sieve in the icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
6. Add the cocoa powder to the butter and sugar and stir until smooth. Cover the cupcakes with a generous layer of chocolate icing using a palette knife of piping bag.
7. Gradually melt the chocolate and drizzle over the cupcakes and leave to set before serving.
8. To decorate, sprinkle with crystallised pieces of ginger.