115g (4oz) baking margarine, softened
115g (4oz) light brown sugar
2.5ml (1/2tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
2 medium eggs, beaten
100g (3 1/2oz) plain flour
15g (1/2oz) cocoa powder
7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
50g (2oz) Dr. Oetker White Chocolate Chips
150g (5oz) icing sugar
5ml (1tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Peppermint Extract
Dr. Oetker Chocolate Flavour Strands
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5). Line 10 cup cake tins with brown Cupcake Cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy-light in texture. Stir in the Natural Vanilla Extract.
2. Gradually whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour, cocoa and Baking Powder on top. Add the Chocolate Chips and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the eggy mixture.
3. Spoon into the Cupcake Cases and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and add the natural peppermint extract and 20-25ml (4-5tsp) warm water to make a smooth, spreadable icing.
5. Spread the icing thickly over each cup cake and sprinkle with Chocolate Flavour Strands before the icing begins to set. Allow the icing to set for a few minutes before serving.