Makes 12 fairy cakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
110g (4oz) self-raising flour, sieved
15g cocoa powder
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker Fun Baking Cases
75g (3oz) unsalted butter, softened
175g (6oz) icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
Dr. Oetker Mini Jazzies
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the Fun Baking Cases into a fairy cake baking tray .
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour and cocoa powder with a spoon.
3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 10-15 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. To make the chocolate icing, put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sieve in the icing sugar, beating well after each addition until smooth
6. Add the cocoa powder to the butter and icing sugar and stir until smooth. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star shaped nozzle and pipe on top of the remaining cakes to create a swirl effect. Sprinkle with Mini Jazzies.