The tangy lemon curd with the coconut compliment one another in these cup cakes, by using yogurt in the mixture it helps to keep the cakes moist and adds to the flavour. The cakes should have relatively flat tops which allows them to easily be decorated however you may wish.
Makes 12 – 14 large cupcakes
115g butter at room temperature
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
100g natural set yogurt
2 tbsp lemon curd
175g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Dr.Oetker baking powder
25g desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚Fan/ Gas mark 4.
2. Beat or whisk the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, gradually add the beaten eggs, whisking all the time.
3. Add the yogurt and lemon curd and blend into the creamed mixture.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and then fold into the mixture along with the dessicated coconut.
5. Place dessertspoonfuls into the cases and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes until firm to the touch, if you remove them too early they may sink slightly in the centre.
6. When cooked remove from the oven and leave 5 minutes in the muffin tins before placing on a baking rack to cool.
7. Decorate as you wish, but here are a few suggestions:-
Lemon meringue – a spoonful of lemon curd encased with whipped meringue and browned in the oven.
Butter cream with the addition of a spoonful of lemon curd and some melted white chocolate, topped with a Dr. Oetker Wafer Daisy
Butterfly tops with a spoonful of lemon curd in the centre
Check out the Dr Oetker cake decorations in the supermarket for lots of lovely ideas.