The chewy meringue together with tangy lemon curd makes these cupcakes irresistible. If you want to create the domed meringues shown, use a piping bag with a large nozzle instead of a teaspoon to divide the meringue mixture.
Makes 12 cupcakes
110g (4oz) butter or margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
75g (3oz) self-raising flour, sieved
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Lemon Extract
Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
For the Mini Meringues
1 sachet Dr. Oetker Egg White Powder or 2 egg whites
110g (4 oz) caster sugar
75g (3 oz) butter
75g (3 oz) icing sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the baking cases into a cupcake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and the lemon extract. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a spoon.
3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
5. To make the meringues place the egg whites into a large bowl and whisk on aslow speed for 2 minutes or until the egg whites are foamy. Whisk on medium speed for a further 2 minutes and finally on high speed for a further minute.
6. Gradually add the sugar into the egg whites, continually whisking on high speed until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
7. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Place a teaspoon of mixture per mini meringue onto the baking sheet.
8. Place in the centre of a pre-heated oven (140°C, 275°F, gas mark 1) for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven until completely cool.
9. Now make the butter icing by placing the butter in a bowl and beating until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until soft and spreadable.
10. Spread the cupcakes with a layer of butter icing and top with a teaspoon of lemon curd and finish with a mini meringue.
11. Sprinkle with lemon zest and icing sugar for the perfect finish.