115g (4oz) baking margarine, softened
115g (4oz) light brown sugar
2.5ml (1/2tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
2 medium eggs, beaten
100g (3 1/2oz) plain flour
15g (1/2oz) cocoa powder
7.5ml (1 1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
50g (2oz) Dr. Oetker Milk Chocolate Chips
For the Icing
100g (3 ½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
165g (5 ½ oz) icing sugar
25g (1oz) cocoa powder
3.75-5ml (3/4-1tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Peppermint Extract
Dr. Oetker Polka Dots to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C Fan, 375°F, Gas Mark 5). Line 10 cup cake tins with brown Cupcake Cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy-light in texture. Stir in the Natural Vanilla Extract.
2. Gradually whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour, cocoa and Baking Powder on top. Add the Chocolate Chips and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the eggy mixture.
3. Spoon into the cake cases and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. For the icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder to make a smooth, creamy icing. Add Natural Peppermint Extract to taste.
5. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2inch) star nozzle and pipe a generous peaked swirl on top of each cake. Decorate with Polka Dots before serving.