Makes 12 - 15 cupcakes
175g plain flour
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
¼ tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
¼ tsp salt
2 medium eggs
175g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
1 tsp Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
125ml soured cream
Dr. Oetker Fun Baking Cases
3-4 tbsp Dr. Oetker Apricot Glaze, or other smooth jam
454g pack Dr. Oetker White Regal-Ice Icing
Red Icing from Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Coloured Icing
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted) Gas Mark 4. Line a cupcake tray with red Fun Baking Cases.
2. Sieve the flour, add the Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of Soda and salt, set aside.
3. Using an electric hand whisk beat together the eggs and the sugar until they are pale yellow and thick. Gradually add the vegetable oil , Natural Vanilla Extract and soured cream, whisking all the time on a low speed.
4. Finally add the flour and other dry ingredients, and continue whisking until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter between the baking cases , filling each half full.
5. Bake for around 15 minutes in centre of oven until they are golden and a small skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly in tins , then remove from tins and cool completely before decorating .
6. Once cool. brush a little Apricot Glaze or jam on to the top of each cake.
7. Roll out white Regal-Ice to 5mm thick. Use a round biscuit cutter to cut a circle a similar size to cake top from the icing. Place circle on top of cake, gently press into place.
8. Roll red Regal-Ice to 1.5mm thick. Use a ruler to guide knife and cut strips about 3mm wide.
9. Brush a thin line of water across centre of cake, lay on a strip of red icing and then trim to fit.
10. Brush water on either side of the red line , at right angles to it, add 2 small strips of red icing on top and trim to fit.