175ml (6oz) + 15ml (1 tbsp) caster sugar
half a lemon
2 Dr. Oetker Select Vanilla Pods
175g (6oz) unsalted butter
25g (1oz) demerara sugar
3 x 1cm (½ inch) thick slices fresh pineapple
175g (6oz) plain flour
pinch of salt
1 large egg yolk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease and line the bottom of a 20cm (8 inch) shallow cake tin.
2. To make the syrup, place 175g (6oz) caster sugar in a saucepan with 300ml (10fl.oz) water and heat stirring until dissolved.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, peel slices of lemon rind into the saucepan and add the lemon juice. Bring to the boil and continue to boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and gently split the Select Vanilla Pods down the centre, and prise open the sides of each pod. Add the pods to the syrup and set aside to infuse for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
4. Now make the tart. Melt 50g (2oz) butter in a saucepan and add the demerara sugar. Simmer gently until melted and caramelised and pour over the bottom of the prepared tin. Set aside.
5. Slice off the pineapple skin from the slices and cut in half. Remove the core if it is tough, and then slice each piece of pineapple in half through the middle to create 12 thin slices in total. Arrange, overlapping, in the bottom of the tin. Set aside.
6. Rub the remaining butter into the flour with the salt, until the mixture resembles fresh breadcrumbs. Stir in the remaining caster sugar, add the egg yolk and bind together to form a firm dough. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
7. Roll the dough out to a circle to fit the tin exactly and press down gently on top of the pineapple. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until lightly golden. Stand for 10 minutes.
8. To serve, discard the Select Vanilla Pods and lemon rind from the syrup. Invert the tart onto a serving plate. Serve with vanilla syrup to pour over, and with crème fraîche to accompany. Best served warm.
Cooks Tip: If you prefer warm syrup, discard the Vanilla Pods and lemon rind, and warm the syrup gently in a saucepan. Do not boil as the flavour will be impaired.