These moist and gooey puds are baked in 150ml (1/4pint) individual metal moulds. If you use smaller ones with a capacity of about 100-125ml (3 ½-4oz), reduce the cooking times slightly.
Ingredients for the puddings:
125g (4 1/2oz) lightly salted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
175g (6oz) pitted dates, chopped
250g (9oz) toffee sauce, from a jar
3 medium eggs, beaten
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
For the sauce:
2tbsp Dr. Oetker Cornflour
300ml (1/2pint) milk
2tbsp caster sugar
1tsp Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease 8 individual metal moulds and line the bases with circles of greaseproof paper. Put the dates in a small saucepan with 150ml (1/4pint) water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes until the dates are pulpy. Leave to cool.
2. Put the butter, 100g (3 1/2oz) of the toffee sauce, eggs and flour in a bowl and beat with a hand held electric whisk until smooth. Stir in the dates and divide among the tins, three quarter filling each.
3. Place the moulds in a roasting tin and pour a 1cm (1/2inch) depth of boiling water into the tin. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Lift a corner of the foil to check whether the sponges are cooked. They should feel just firm to the touch. Cook a little longer if necessary.
4. While cooking blend the cornflour in a small saucepan with a little of the milk until smooth. Gradually blend in the remaining milk and then the sugar and vanilla. Heat gently, stirring until thickened and smooth. Heat the remaining toffee sauce separately.
5. Invert the puddings onto serving plates and accompany with the vanilla and toffee sauces.