This refreshing jelly recipe is perfect for using up a large quantity of soft fruits, particularly any that are slightly squashed or mushy.
Using two sachets of Vege-Gel gives a firmer set so the jellies retain their shape once turned out of the moulds. For softer set ‘wobblier’ jellies, or if setting them in glasses, use one sachet. Serve with clotted cream or lightly whipped double cream.
Serves 6 (See tip)
750g (1 1/2lb) mixed summer fruits e.g. strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants, plus extra to decorate
100g (4oz) caster sugar
2x6g sachets Dr. Oetker Vege-Gel
450ml (3/4pint) fresh apple juice
1. Hull the strawberries and string the redcurrants. Blend the fruits and sugar to a puree using a food processor or blender. Strain through a sieve to remove the seeds.
2. Sprinkle the vege-gel over the apple juice in a saucepan and stir thoroughly until completely dissolved and the liquid appears to thicken.
3. Add the fruit puree and reheat until almost boiling. Ladle or pour into individual metal or plastic moulds. Leave to cool then chill for at least 1 hour until firm. (They can also be left overnight).
4. To serve, fill a bowl with very hot water and dip the moulds, one at a time into the water for 2-3 seconds. Invert onto serving places. (Avoid dipping the moulds for too long or the jellies will start to soften).
5. Serve decorated with extra fruits.
Cooks Tip: The mixture makes about 1.2litres (2 pints), serving six if you use 200ml (7fl oz) moulds. If you use small plastic moulds or dariole moulds, you’ll make 8-10 jellies.