125g (4½oz) soft butter or margarine
125g (4½oz) caster sugar
125g (4½oz) self-raising flour, sifted
2 medium size eggs
For the butter icing
100g (3½oz) butter, softened
½ tbsp hot water
150g (5½oz) icing sugar, sifted
Green Food Colour
Dr. Oetker Milk Chocolate Beans
75g (2¾oz) mini chocolate buttons
1 packet red liquorice laces
1 packet thick red liquorice strands
black liquorice to make boots!
18 – 20 Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
Dr. Oetker Cake Board or Tray
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and arrange the Baking Cases in a cupcake tray.
2. Put the butter / margarine, caster sugar, flour and eggs into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Alternatively use a food processor and process on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and cook for approx. 10 – 15 minutes. Allow to cool and then trim flat any tops that have domed during cooking.
4. To make the butter icing, put the butter into a bowl with the hot water and mix together well. Beat in the sifted icing sugar a little at a time, until the mixture is light and creamy. Colour with Green Food Colouring. With a small palette knife, spread the icing over the entire surface of each cake.
5. On all but one of the cakes, make a small V with mini chocolate buttons and place a Chocolate Bean in the middle. Arrange the cakes on a Cake Board or tray .
6. Cut the red liquorice laces into 1cm (½ inch) lengths and push them into the sides of the cupcakes. Cut the liquorice strands into 4cm (½ inch) lengths and bend them into the side of the cakes, place a black liquorice boot at the end of each.
7. Decorate the remaining cupcake with two Chocolate Beans for eyes, a liquorice strand cut in half makes a nose and a big smile. You can use a matchmaker broken in two for antennae (or use a red lace or strips of black liquorice).