65g (2½ oz) baking margarine, softened
100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
1 large egg yolk
175g (6oz) plain flour
12.5ml (2½ tsp) Dr Oetker Baking Powder
25g (1 oz) cocoa powder
100ml (3½ fl.oz) whole milk
200g (7 oz) icing sugar
10-15 ml (2-3tsp) freshly squeezed orange juice
65g (2½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
3.75ml (3/4 tsp) finely grated rind unwaxed orange
Dr. Oetker Citrus Flavour Strands
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan oven, 350°F, Gas 4). Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. First make the pies. In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy then beat in the egg yolk.
2. Gradually sieve in flour, baking powder, cocoa and milk, stirring well after each addition, to make a smooth, thick cake mixture. Spoon into a large piping bag fitted with a ½ cm (¼ inch) plain nozzle.
3. Pipe small 2.5cm (1inch) diameter mounds spaced a little apart on the baking trays – you should be able to make at least 44. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the icing, sift half icing sugar into a mixing bowl and gradually mix in sufficient orange juice to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Spread thickly over the peaked side of 22 halves and sprinkle thickly with citrus strands. Leave for a few minutes to set.
5. For the filling, put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sieve in the remaining icing sugar, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Add the orange rind and spread over the flat sides of the remaining pie halves. Sandwich 2 halves together to serve.