175g (6oz) margarine
175g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium size eggs
175g (6oz) self-raising flour - sieved
3 – 4 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
For the icing
75g (3 oz) unsalted butter
75g (3 oz) icing sugar
a few drops of Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
milk or warm water
6 tbsp strawberry jam
sieved icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350ºFGas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and natural vanilla extract, if the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon.
3. Place large spoonfuls of the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for approx. 20 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, leave to cool before carefully turning out each muffin onto a cooling rack.
4. Cut each muffin in half horizontally and, using a cutter, cut a circle out of each half of the muffin.
5. Sandwich together with strawberry jam and the butter icing. To make the butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar. Mix in the natural vanilla extract and enough milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
7. Dust the top of each cake lightly with the sieved icing sugar and finish with a slice of strawberry.