65g (2½ oz) baking margarine, softened
100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2.5ml (½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
200g (7 oz) plain flour
2 ½ sachets (2½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
75ml (3 fl.oz) whole milk
200g (7 oz) icing sugar
Dr. Oetker Sugar Strands
65g (2½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, 350°F, Gas Mark 4). Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy then beat in the egg yolk and 1/2 tsp Natural Vanilla Extract.
2. Gradually sieve in the flour and Baking Powder, and add the milk, stirring well after each addition, to make a smooth, thick cake mixture. Spoon mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2inch) plain nozzle.
3. Pipe small mounds on the baking trays – you should be able to make 24. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until risen, lightly golden and firm to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the icing, sift half the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and gradually mix in 10-15ml (2-3 tsp) water to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Spread icing generously over the peaked side of 12 of the whoopie halves and then sprinkle the icing with sugar strands. Leave for a few minutes to set.
5. For the whoopie pie filling, put the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sieve in the remaining icing sugar, beating well after each addition, to make a smooth, spreadable icing. Add the Natural Vanilla Extract. Spread the icing generously over the flat sides of the remaining pie halves. Sandwich the peaked and flat whoopie halves together to serve.