1 tbsp butter (for greasing)
300g (10½ oz) plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
300g (10½ oz) plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
1 tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
425ml (15fl oz) natural yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. Grease baking tray with the butter and dust with flour.
2. Sieve the flours, Baking Powder, Bicarbonate of Soda, sugar and salt in a bowl and add any bran remaining in the sieve.
3. In a jug, beat together the egg and yogurt and pour the mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well, bringing the ingredients together to form a sticky dough.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface for a few minutes until smooth, then shape into a large round about 5cm (2 inches) deep.
5. Transfer the dough to the baking tray. Mark a cross shape one the top with a sharp knife.
6. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until the soda bread is golden brown all over.
7. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.
Cooks Tip: For a fruity version of this soda bread, add 125g (4½ oz) raisins to the dry ingredients in step 2.