This loaf cake has reduced fat making it a healthier accompaniment to afternoon tea.
300g (10oz) wholewheat plain flour
1 teasp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
100g (4oz) light brown sugar
A few drops Dr. Oetker Natural Lemon Extract
6 tbsp chunky apple sauce
2 eggs, beaten
200g low fat natural fromage frais
300g can blackberries in natural juice, well drained
50g (2oz) Demerara sugar cubes, lightly crushed
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F or 170°C for a fan assisted oven. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl, and make a well in the centre.
3. Mix the lemon extract, egg and fromage frais together and pour into the well.
4. Gradually mix the ingredients together to form a thick batter. Carefully fold in the apples and blackberries. Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
5. Sprinkle with the crushed sugar and bake for 45-50 mins until risen and firm to the touch – a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean.
6. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and peel away the lining paper. Slice to serve.