1 x 20cm (8inch) deep round Madeira or fruit cake, covered in Dr. Oetker Natural Marzipan
1 x 20cm (8inch) thin round cake board
Icing sugar to dust
550g (1lb 2oz) Dr. Oetker White Ready to Roll Icing
1.1kg (2lb 7oz) Dr. Oetker Chocolate Ready to Roll Icing
1 x 25cm (10inch) deep round Madeira or fruit cake, covered in Dr Oetker Natural Marzipan
4 short pieces plastic dowling
Dark brown ribbon to decorate
1. Position the marzipaned 20cm (8inch) cake to fit on the thin cake board. On a lightly dusted work surface roll out 500g (1lb 2oz) white ready to roll icing and cover the cake as instructed on the pack. Reserve the trimmings.
2. Roll out 1kg (2lb2oz) Chocolate Ready to Roll icing and cover the 25cm (10inch) cake in the same way. Reserve the trimmings. Carefully transfer the large cake to a serving plate or board.
3. Cut the dowling pieces to the exact depth of the iced large cake. Carefully push them into the centre of the cake in a 12cm (5inch) square arrangement – these will act as supports for the top cake.
4. Carefully sit the smaller cake on top of the large one, making sure it is in the middle.
5. Starting with the Chocolate icing, knead the trimmings together with the remaining icing until smooth and pliable, then roll out thinly. You need: 9 x 36cm (14 1/4inch) long x 1/2cm (1/4inch) wide strips; 1 x 9cm (3 1/2inch) heart shape; 1 x 5.5cm (2 1/4inch) heart shape; 6 x 3.5cm (1 1/4inch) hearts and 1 x 2.5cm (1inch) heart shape.
6. Secure the stripes on the top cake with a light brushing of water.
7. Prepare the white icing trimmings and remaining white icing as above and roll out thinly. You will need: 1 x 7.5cm (3inch) heart shape; 6 x 6cm (2 1/4inch) heart shapes; 1 x 3.5cm (1 1/4inch) heart shape; 6 x 2.5cm (1inch) hearts and 12 x 1.5cm (2/3inch) hearts.
8. Stick different sized hearts together as illustrated, then secure all hearts on the cake with a little water. Secure ribbon round the base of the top cake before serving.