This cake is a delicious mixture of light chocolate sponge sandwiched with fudgy chocolate cream and covered in glossy chocolate ganache. Store in a cool place rather than the fridge so the cake keeps its soft texture.
175g (6oz) lightly salted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
175g (6oz) light muscovado sugar
3 medium eggs
1tsp Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract
150g (5oz) self-raising flour
25g (1oz) cocoa powder
300g (10oz) Dr. Oetker Continental Plain Chocolate
4tbsp golden syrup
75g (3oz) lightly salted butter
150ml (1/4pint) double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease 3x18cm (7inch) sandwich tins and line the bases with circles of greaseproof paper. (If you only have 2 tins, reserve a third of the sponge mixture for baking separately).
2. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and beat with a hand held electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Divide among the tins and level the surfaces.
3. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
4. For the filling, chop 100g (4oz) of the chocolate and melt, either over a saucepan of gently simmering water or in the microwave. Once melted, stir in half the syrup and the butter and stir until smooth. Once cool, use to sandwich the cakes together on a serving plate.
5. Chop another 150g (5oz) of the chocolate and put in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream with the remaining syrup until almost boiling then pour onto the chocolate and leave until melted, stirring frequently. Leave to cool. Using a sharp knife cut the remaining chocolate into long thin shards and reserve for decoration.
6. Using a palette knife swirl the chocolate cream over the top and sides of the cakes. Scatter the chocolate shards around the edges to finish.