200g (7oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks' Extra Dark Chocolate
100g (4oz) unsalted butter
3 large eggs
100g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
55ml (3 tbsp + 2 tsp) dark rum
5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
150g (5oz) ground almonds
2.5ml (½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
60ml (4 tbsp) good quality apricot jam
100g (4oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks' Dark Chocolate
150ml (5fl.oz) double cream, at room temperature
75ml (5 tbsp) Dr. Oetker Chocolate Flavour Strands
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Line the inside and base of a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
2. Break the Extra Dark Chocolate into a heatproof bowl and add the butter. Melt chocolate and butter together over a pan of barely simmering water, and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and dark sugar together until pale, thick and creamy.
4. Whisk in cooled chocolate mixture along with 45ml (3 tbsp) rum and the Natural Vanilla Extract.
5. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture along with the ground almonds and baking powder.
6. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the top. Place a roasting tin half filled with boiling water in the bottom of the oven and bake the cake on a low shelf above the water for 40 - 45 minutes until just firm, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out just clean. Allow to cool in the tin. Note: the depth of the finished cake will be about 4cm (1 1/2 inches)
7. Slice the cake in half, mix the jam with the remaining rum and spread over one half of the cake. Sandwich together with the other half.
8. Melt the Dark Chocolate as above and cool for 10 minutes. Pour the cream into the melted chocolate and whisk lightly until it becomes thick and glossy.
9. Spread about half the chocolate cream round the edge of the cake.
10. Reserving 15ml (1 tbsp) Chocolate Flavour Strands, place the strands on a plate, and carefully roll the edge of the cake to coat it completely. Spread the top with the remaining chocolate cream and sprinkle with the remaining Chocolate Flavour Strands.
Cooks Tip: Best served at room temperature with pouring cream. Store in the refrigerator.