Makes 8 servings
200g (7oz) plain flour - sieved
2 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder - sieved
200g (7oz) caster sugar
4 medium size eggs
150ml (¼ pint) soured cream
grated rind of 1 large lemon
4 tbsp lemon juice
150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil
For the syrup
75g (3oz) icing sugar
75ml (3fl.oz) lemon juice
Shreaded lemon zest
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) loose bottomed cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, Baking Powder and caster sugar.
3. In a jug, whisk together the eggs, soured cream, lemon rind, lemon juice and oil.
4. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until evenly blended.
5. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
6. To make the syrup, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together in a small saucepan stirring over a low heat until it comes to the boil. Let it boil for 2 minutes until it becomes syrupy.
7. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick the surface with a metal skewer, then decorate with lemon zest and pour the syrup over the surface.
8. Leave to cool completely in the tin before serving.