300g (10oz) pitted dates, chopped
200ml (7fl.oz) unsweetened orange juice
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
2-3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Almond Extract
3 large egg
2 tbsp treacle
225g (8oz) wholewheat plain flour
1 tspn Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
1 tbsp mixed spice
450g (1lb) luxury dried fruit mix
1 tbsp Dr. Oetker Apricot Glaze
175g (6oz) Dr. Oetker Ready Rolled Icing
Dr. Oetker Soft Silver Pearls, to decorate
1. Pre-heat oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3 or 150ºC for a fan assisted oven. Grease and line a 20cm (8inch) round, deep cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Put the dates in a saucepan with the orange juice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins, stiring occasionally, until softened. Leave to cool, then blend in a food processor until smooth.
3. Beat in a few drops of Vanilla and Almond Extract, the eggs and treacle. Mix the flour, baking powder, spice and dried fruit together in a bowl. Gradually work the date mixture into the dry ingredients and transfer to the prepared tin.
4. Smooth the top and bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
5. Wrap in foil and store for 24 hours before serving.
6. If decorating, brush with apricot glaze. Place the ready rolled icing over the cake and gently trim the edge. Decorate with Soft Silver Pearls.