This heavenly recipe is light as a feather and fat free.
150g (5oz) plain flour
200g (7oz) caster sugar
7 large egg whites
1 level teasp Dr. Oetker Cream of Tartar
A few drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
A few drops Dr. Oetker Natural Red Food Colour
100g (4oz) icing sugar
Dr. Oetker Soft Silver Pearls
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F/or 160°C for a fan assisted oven. Grease and line a 20cm (8inch) round deep cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Sift the flour and 7 tbsp sugar into a bowl. Put the egg whites in another bowl and whisk until foamy but not stiff. Add the cream of tartar and 2 tbsp remaining sugar, and whisk to form soft peaks.
3. Add the vanilla and remaining sugar and gently fold in. Gradually sift the flour and sugar mixture over the top, gently folding in after each addition. Scatter a few drops red food colouring on to the mixture and gently swirl in to give a marbled effect, but don’t mix in completely.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 mins until lightly golden and firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin.
5. When ready to serve, turn on to a wire rack and peel away the parchment. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add sufficient water to make a soft icing. Drizzle half the icing over the cake. Add a few drops of colouring to the remaining icing and then drizzle on top.
6. Scatter over a few soft silver pearls and allow to set for a few mins before slicing to serve.