225g (8oz) butter or margarine
225g (8oz) caster sugar
4 medium size eggs
225g (8oz) self-raising flour - sieved
2 – 3 drops Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
For the icing
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar
a few drops of Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
milk or warm water
4 tbsp strawberry jam
sieved icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and Natural Vanilla Extract, if the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour.
4. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon.
5. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for approx. 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
6. Remove from oven and leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
7. To make the butter icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar. Mix in the Natural Vanilla Extract and enough milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable.
8. Spread the jam on one of the cakes and use the butter Icing to sandwich the two cakes together.
10. Dust the top of the cake lightly with the sieved icing sugar.