Serving a meringue always makes a spectacular stunning dessert to finish a special meal. The addition of the vanilla extract, vinegar and cornflour will give a slightly soft gooey inside texture to the meringue.
Serves 4 - 6
Egg whites 3 from large eggs
175g caster sugar
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Vanilla Extract
½ tsp vinegar
1 tsp Dr. Oetker Cornflour
25g chopped toasted hazelnuts, reserve 1/3 for decoration
500g greek style natural Yogurt
250g fresh strawberries, hulled
100g mini eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 140˚C/130˚Fan/Gas 1. Line a baking sheet with non- stick greaseproof paper or baking parchment and draw a 23cm (9”) circle on it using a plate or cake tin to guide.
2. In a large, grease free bowl and using a hand held electric mixer, whip the egg whites until they hold their shape. Gradually add the sugar, whisking well between each addition, until they are very stiff and glossy. Gently fold in the vanilla essence, vinegar and cornflour.
3. Spread half the meringue in an even layer over the marked circle and spoon the other half in dollops around the inside edges of the circle to form a crown. Sprinkle 2/3rds of the hazelnuts over the dollops of meringue. The dollops can be piped if preferred.
4. Place meringue in the oven and bake for approximately 1½ - 1¾ hrs until the meringue is dried out. Remove from the oven, cool completely.
5. Peel away the parchment. And place on a serving dish, spoon the greek yogurt into the centre of the meringue nest and decorate with the strawberries and mini eggs. Sprinkle the strawberries with a little extra caster sugar, if required.
Cooks Tip: Try to make the meringue base the day before you need it, then store in an airtight tin or wrap well if placing on serving plate.