These cute Mini Confetti Meringues made with Dr. Oetker Gel Food Colours make the perfect party piece. Why not try using different Dr. Oetker sprinkles to decorate the base of your meringues.
Makes: 30 assorted colour meringues
Dr. Oetker Cake Release Spray
3 medium egg whites
150g (5oz) caster sugar
5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Vanilla Extract
Dr. Oetker Sky Blue, Sunshine Yellow and Bright Red Gel Food Colours
200g (7oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ White Chocolate (broken into pieces)
Dr. Oetker Shimmer Hundreds & Thousands, Pink Shimmer Sugar and Sugar Strands to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 110ºC (Fan 90ºC, Gas Mark 1/4). Spray two large baking trays with Cake Release Spray to grease. In a large grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff and dry. Whisk in half of the sugar. Gently fold in the remaining sugar along with the Natural Vanilla Extract.
2. Equally divide the mixture between three bowls and add a few drops of one of the Gel Food Colours to each bowl of mixture. Carefully and gently fold in the colours using a large metal spoon to make three pastel coloured meringue mixtures.
3. Working on one coloured meringue mixture at a time, put the mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2in) plain nozzle and pipe 4-5cm (1 1/2 - 2inch) mounds on to the prepared baking trays.
4. Repeat with the remaining meringue mixtures to make approx. 30 mini meringues. Bake in the oven for approx. one hour until the meringues are crisp on the outside, but not browned - prop the oven door open slightly if they start to discolour. Cool the meringues on the baking trays.
5. To decorate, put the Fine Cooks’ Chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water until melted. Remove the bowl from the saucepan of water, beat until smooth and cool for 10 minutes.
6. Put the sprinkles into three small bowls. Working on one meringue at a time, carefully dip the bottom of the meringue into the white chocolate and then into the sugar sprinkles of your choice. Place the meringue back on to the lined baking tray to set. Repeat until all of the meringues are decorated then put aside in a cool place for about 30 minutes until set.
Cooks Tip: These meringues are crisp on the outside, yet stay chewy in the centre; they will keep in an airtight container for several days. Avoid putting the meringues in the fridge to set the chocolate as this softens the texture.