175g (6oz) self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
150g (5oz) caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 medium size eggs - beaten
150 ml (¼ pt) sunflower oil
150 ml (¼ pt) milk
For the icing
75g (3oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) icing sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
milk or warm water
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
2. Sieve the flour, cocoa and Bicarbonate of Soda into a bowl.
3. Add the sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre and add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well until smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into the two tins and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
5. Sandwich the two cakes together with butter cream icing. To make the icing place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft.
7. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and then add enough milk / water to make the icing fluffy and spreadable. Sift and beat the cocoa powder in to the icing.
8. Cover the sides and the top of the cake with more butter icing and use a palette knife to create swirls on top of the cake and to decorate.