If you’ve so far failed in your attempts to make a perfectly moist cake, don’t worry. There’s a number of different reasons why this might have happened – and plenty of tips to stop it happening in the future!
First things first, you need to make sure you’re using a good moist cake recipe such as our Victoria Sponge Cake. If you’re keen to bake something with more complex flavours and ingredients, look for a cake recipe specific to those ingredients rather than simply altering a basic sponge recipe.
Here are five really simple ways to ensure your cake stays perfectly moist:
1. Always measure out your flour properly. Getting the right amounts of every ingredient is crucial in baking, especially when it comes to flour. Adding too much flour is often the cause of a cake mix that’s too dry.
2. Soften your butter first. Creaming the butter and sugar together is a major step in most moist cake recipes. This will be much easier to do if the butter isn’t rock hard! Remove it from the fridge half an hour before you need it for the perfect consistency for mixing.
3. Make sure your ingredients are room temperature. How cold your ingredients are can have a big impact on how well they combine together and later react in the oven. It’s best to always leave any cold ingredients – from eggs and butter to milk – out of the fridge for a while before using them
4. Do the skewer test. While all recipes will have a recommended baking time, it’s always best to go with your instincts. Keep a close eye on the colour of your cake and, once it starts to turn golden brown, stick a knife or skewer in the centre to see if the batter is cooked.
5. Try an oil cake. Cake recipes which use oil instead of butter or margarine are more likely to come out moist. You’ll find fruit cakes such as apple or carrot tend to use oil and they’re almost always a lovely moist texture when cooked.
Another easy way to achieve a moist cake is to use a Dr. Oetker cake mix instead of baking from scratch. Mixes have been carefully created with just the right amount of every ingredient, plus they’re super simple for kids and amateur bakers to follow!